Wednesday, March 01, 2006

So. very. tired.

If last night had a soundtrack, it would be the Pet Shop Boys "What Have I Done to Deserve This?" For what now seems the fiftieth night in a row (but is probably only the fifth), darling C. slept in one hour increments all night until 5 a.m., when she was wide awake, sweet as honey and ready to play. I swear she slept better as a six-week old than she is sleeping as an almost six-month old. While Nate and I haven't returned to the crazed, sleep-deprived zombies we were in those first weeks of new parenthood, we are both exhausted, and tensions sometimes run high. This morning, for example, I clearly remember thinking I was going to kill him if he asked me if I wanted him to wake her up and get her ready one more time. I was trying to get myself dressed, which is no easy feat on a totally ordinary day, much less one when I have had no sleep and thus have no judgment.

I don't want to be the boss, to make all the decisions, and although I know Nate is just trying to be helpful, I end up snapping. This sucks because he doesn't deserve it. He is up with her in the middle of the night more than I am most of the time, and he is really the best co-parent anyone could hope for. Moments of crisis bring tension I'm not so good at handling, though, and we don't really have a philosophy guiding us through on this whole sleep thing. Or really this whole parenting thing. We're winging it, and for the most part that's working for all three of us. I do hate philosophies, but I think sometimes it would be nice if we had one into which we could retreat and hide for just a few hours of blissful sleep.

So here's an upside to work. If I get enough crap out of by inbox and power through a few more things, I can return to the cat naps I used to take in all the little nooks and crannies of the building when I was first knocked up. While pregnant I learned to sleep at my desk and have it appear I was on the phone, how to lock the door on the faculty bathroom and catch a few z's on the little couch in the lounge area, and I learned how to sleep on my boss' most uncomfortable wooden couch while he was at a meeting. I only need 20 minutes to feel like a brand new lover, and it's worth cutting lunch a little short for that.

1 comment:

Sharpie said...

Before you know it - you will be sleeping through the night (until you realize HOW LATE IT IS) and run through the house sure that you must have slept through HOURS of wailing and your POOR BABY must be ready to call DCF herself...and they are ASLEEP.

Wishing you sleep SOON.

If you need something to look forward to, my Lil Man (5 yr) doesn't even BOTHER to come wake me up if he THROWS UP!!! Does it - goes back to bed. Tells me in the morning. WHAT?! You DID?! I slept through THAT????? They learn to NOT WAKE MOMMA. lol