Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Pass the guacamole!

mmmmm...guacamole

I give up! Dinner time is not fun if you have to force feed your darling little girl food that makes her gag and shiver and act otherwise disgusted and put upon. Last night we revisited the avocado, the only food we’ve seen her actually ingest other than rice cereal, and after initially watching her get it all over her face, in her hair and even behind and her ears, I thinned a bit of it down with a whole lot of breast milk and spoonfed her, which she actually liked when she managed to stop whining long enough to slurp (in between licking it off her bib and shoving it up her nose, that is).

My last few entries have just been cheap excuses to post pictures of darling C. eating and hanging out (kinda like this one--click the picture above to see even more avocado escapades), and I haven’t been much more reflective than that. Part of it is the time of year: not long until spring break (not that it means much for many of us working gals, but I’ve spent so much time in academia I think I’m biologically programmed to need a break by the end of March), weather all over the place, the worst of winter behind us and each day heavier with the promise of spring than the last. I am in a thousand different places heading a thousand different directions, and I can’t get much of any one thing done. Seriously, I have project ADD at home, and at work I’m doing a little bit of this and that, scrambling to pull all the bits and pieces together by the end of the day so it looks like I’ve done something.

So it’s slow march toward Friday, when I’ll pick up darling C. from daycare and begin a week of intense mother-daughter time (I’m working part-time from home over break so we can become reacquainted). I’m sure my brain will be back by then. I’m sure I’ll break out of this day-to-day rut and have lots to say. Too much maybe.

2 comments:

Mama C-ta said...

I feel ya I'm about to give up on solids too. I think I'm actually just gonna buy jarred baby food, the organic kind and be done w/it. Everything seems to make him gag and I feel like I waste so much produce. W/as little as he eats a 50 cent jar of baby food would last us a week.

Dr. S said...

I don't know anything about babies; I'll freely admit that again and again, and anything I ever say about babies in general or Clementine in specific isn't advice. It's just actual wondering. Is it possible that at six months their tastebuds are too sensitive to take anything but really bland cereal or milk, or something as fairly bland as an avocado? I don't think I ever babysat for kids who didn't go through a rice cereal phase before they were ready to eat anything else, when I was younger. Maybe she just wants to eat rice cereal?

Seriously, I would feel terrible if it seemed as though I were trying to tell you how to raise your child. I'm really, really not. But if she's eating the cereal, I'd keep feeding her the cereal, and work up to the other stuff later.