Saturday, March 04, 2006

Mommy's still a punk rocker

Last night, after bathing darling C. and helping Nate put her to sleep, I left the house at a respectable 9 p.m. to go the Hamtramck Blowout, a local music extravaganza in the bars of a little city within Detroit. We've been going since 2003 (I know because I found the program from that year in my special bar coat I donned last night), and it's always a great time. This year, Nate and I decided to split up the nights, and I took Friday because I secretly knew the best bands were to play then. We saw The Muldoon's (brothers aged 8 and 13 with their dad as drummer), SSM, The Great Lakes Myth Society and a little bit of P.A.

Long story short, I got home after 2 and had to take a shower to wash all the smoke off (it's amazing how sensitive motherhood has made me). I had a great time and liked a lot of what I saw. It was so nice just to be among people, and Laura and I had fun acting like women on the loose. We did the usual--walked a little farther than we would like so as not to lose a good parking spot, crammed into small spaces with too many people in order to get closer to the band, and I even got felt up a little in the crush. Bet those nursing pads really turned that guy on. Lots of fun stories, but my 5 hours of sleep are catching up with me. I can still live the rock n' roll lifestyle, but I'm going to have to have a nap to keep up the facade.

No comments: