Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Mother-daughter bonding, Day #1

Yesterday was my first day home with Clementine, and I celebrated by allowing her to roll off the bed (I turned my back for just a minute, but you already know that, right? Don't all bad stories start that way?). The book she was clutching broke her fall a little, but it also scratched her nose and produced a drop of blood. She has a lovely little bruise on her forehead that I can gaze upon all day and contemplate my failures. I know this is a rite of passage and that all kids bump their heads, but knowing everyone is doing it doesn't make me feel any less guilty.

After the incident, we went to the mall, the scary mall in the fancy suburb. On a weekday, it is full of other mommies wandering around buying shit they don't need and judging other mommies. I certainly joined them on the buying frenzy--my kid now officially dresses better than I do--but I escaped before too much damage was done. We ran a few other errands on the way home and eventually met our friends out for a nice dinner. Darling C. protested her banana as she does all things we try to feed her but surprisingly went to town on a dill pickle. Food in general is not going so well (I write this after trying to force a little oatmeal past her clenched lips), but I'm in love with the teething biscuits and zwieback she isn't supposed to have for a few more months. They keep her occupied for long stretches, which I'm learning is essential if I'm ever to enjoy a full meal again.

We don't have much planned for today--I ended dinner last night by getting a little sick and will spend the day convalescing and trying to take care of this little jumping bean. Stay tuned for further adventures. This whole staying home with the baby thing is so much harder than I realized. Maybe if I hadn't ever gone back to work I wouldn't have noticed, but wow. It's 8:15 and I'm already wondering if it's time for a nap.

1 comment:

Allison said...

The bed thing happens to the best of us! Sometimes more then once! My new goal is to never have my kids fall down the stairs.