Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Reading

You know things are getting desperate when I turn to the great parenting machine's bag o' books, this time trying to find out why Clementine resists sleep so fervently and how I can help her on the right path. This whole sleep thing fills me with dread and insecurity because I want it to work for her, but I just don't know what the right answer is. I resist the notion that I need to train my child to sleep, but it's clear to me that I need to do something. No wonder I'm so mental when I open the INTRODUCTION to one book and read in big, bold print:

"If your child does not learn to sleep well, he may become an incurable adult insomniac, chronically disabled from sleepiness and dependent on sleeping pills."

Well, no pressure, but if you screw this up your child will become a disfunctional adult with no hope for a normal life.

I need a drink.

2 comments:

Dr. S said...

I may already have said this, but my best friend went through a similarly screamy and wacky-sleepy period with her son when he was about Clementine's age. She and her husband read up on what they should do, and the answer did turn out to be putting him to bed and then leaving the room. They tried this with great trepidation. The first night, he went right to sleep. The second night, he cried for about five minutes and then went right to sleep. He still wakes up uberearly, but I suspect that has more to do with his being a baby; haven't research studies proven that babies' circadian rhythms are just more dawn-oriented than adults'?

So, I don't mean to be all "this one's easy!" on you, because I have no idea on my own, but maybe she just needs to be in her own sleeping space. I don't sleep well with others, either.

Anonymous said...

holy shit, I would have closed that book up right away then proceeded to jump out a window! What freakin' book was that?? Talk about fear factor, no pressure is right!