Saturday, January 21, 2006

Friday is the new...Monday?

Ah, nothing says Friday more than chasing the happy hour crowd out of a table at our favorite pizza joint so we can sit down and have an early dinner between the after-work rush and the date/dinner crowd. We have tried to have Friday night dinners out with Clementine from the very beginning, some working well and others turning out like our trip to the Indian restaurant when Nate sat in the car with screaming darling C. while I waited for our food to arrive and then be packed to go. We try to roll with whatever we get.

Tonight was great--Nate and I tried to have normal conversations about the whole Google records issue, Nate's car ideas, current events and other such adult-like topics, but mostly we made faces at darling C. and talked about how f***ing cute she is. She flirted with our waiter and was doted on by a few passersby, and Nate and I enoyed our pizza like normal people. No temper tantrums, no fussing. We were those people: the parents that make it look so damn easy you think to yourself "OK, I could do it. I could totally have a kid and nothing would change." I think we even convinced some people to go home and give it a whirl (it was date night after all). Then we went to Home Depot and K-Mart to run a few errands before bathing the kid and putting her down.

I know all you people who were out carousing or seeing some great band are snickering right now, and I'll let you have it. So our nights are the most exciting in the world. But do you know how much you can get done on a Friday night? I feel like the secrets of the universe have been revealed to me. At Home Depot, we did not have to hunt up and down every aisle to find someone to help us (there were orange vests everywhere practically salivating on us), and we didn't have to wait in line wondering what the hell anyone would need so much PVC pipe for. Sure, KMart was full of barely competent employees doing anything but work, but it's so much less annoying when the store is empty. I wanted to run all my errands at once and wish we had more time before darling C. lost her marbles. Maybe this is the secret of the working mom--Friday night errands. And how cool to be able to take Clementine and Nate along too.

No comments: