Monday, January 09, 2006

Er...

Did I speak too soon? I spent the weekend bragging about how daycare agrees with darling C., and when I walked in today I saw right away it was another story. Julie looked haggard and said Clementine was "a crybaby" all day. When I got my hands on her, she felt warm but not feverish and sounded kind of snorty. Nate said this morning he thought she might be getting a cold. She cried herself to sleep on the way home and was pretty grouchy when we got here. When I finally assured myself that there was nothing immediate to be done, I started to get a little wierded out about Julie and her crybaby comment. It didn't seem very loving, especially if the reason C. was fussy was because of illness. Now all the doubt is creeping back in--sure, there were days I wanted to sell darling C. to the gypsies for all her crying, but I am her mom and love her unconditionally. What if Julie decides enough is enough and doesn't do all she can to soothe my kid? Nothing (besides my check) binds her to care for C. And don't even start me on the recently creeping feeling that I should be embarassed because I have a fussy kid. I know better than to feel that way, but I felt kind of shamed when Julie told me about her day. Not a-shamed, just shamed. I can't tell if I'm just being sensitive (probably) or if something is not right.

So here we are on sick watch. She went down at about 5 and is still sleeping (though now on her dad's shoulder) almost three hours later. Usually all active and curious, she spent the early evening slouched against my chest moaning and bleating like a sheep every few seconds. My poor little girl. I feel so helpless.

No comments: