Thursday, February 16, 2006

So I laughed at him...a lot

Let me just say this in my defense: Nate is not a man who wears suits. And I like that about him. I like him in his hoodies and torn jeans. I like him in his T-shirts. I like that he considers wrinkled khakis and a work shirt (the kind mechanics wear) dressy enough for work as long as he doesn't wear Chucks. I like that he creates his own jeans day on Fridays. I like that he can wear suits but just doesn't want to. It suits him.

But of course there are times you need to wear a suit, right? And for Nate one of those times is Monday. The one we bought when we lived in England (the year Nate lost 30 pounds and looked like a work camp survivor) is too small, not to mention too Euro. The one he wears to weddings is vintage--a little too funky and cool. And the sports coat my mom bought him from Costco? Well, my MOM bought it for him at COSTCO. What more do I have to say? And, it's too big. But it was our great white hope...until he put it on. That's when I lost it, when I laughed and laughed until it hurt. The shoulders were so big. His head looked so small. It just looked so...strange.

So what are we to do? Why buy a suit to wear it only once? I think menswear is way harder than women's--there's this nebulous world of work clothing that doesn't require a suit, but is it really sweater vests and V-necks? Don't get me wrong--I like a good suit. My dad, when he used to wear suits to work, looked handsome in them. My boss wears one every day and looks quite fetching (seriously, the few times I've seen him without a suit it kind of freaks me out). Nate looks good in a suit, but he just doesn't look like Nate. Or anyone Nate might want to look like. But when Karen suggested a sweater vest and tie as a possibility, that seemed even worse. Is it possible for him to look like Nate only dressy?

But wait a minute...what's with all this hemming and hawing? I'm sitting in front of the Olympics right now, men's figure skating. If Nate manages to show up without sequins or chiffon, he'll do just fine.

3 comments:

badhummus said...

I, for one, would like to see pictures of this sport coat. It is hard to imagine clothes that Nate cannot rock.

Please post immediately. I will not smile again until I see them.

Dr. S said...

Maybe a non-laughable sportcoat and nice (but not necessarily matching) dress pants? Maybe not necessarily navy blue blazer and khakis... But the sportcoat-and-trousers look has seemed to work for lots of people I know. With a tie it's more dressy, without, it's less.

Or he could always go with a fancy pair of Bermuda shorts and just act as though there's nothing weird in what he's doing. *That* would rock the auto industry.

amanda said...

An update: Karen and Dave are going with Nate to look for something this afternoon since a.) I have other plans and b.) I think I horrified Karen by lauging so hard at my one and only. I promise pics!