Thursday, February 02, 2006

Is it Friday yet?

Today I am feeling the working mom's rut. My Monday through Friday feels almost like the movie Groundhog Day, each day a carbon copy of the last. Just about every single minute has plan and structure to get us moving toward the next minute, and while this could be a boon for those who like an agenda, my inner free spirit is feeling a bit stifled. Crushed, really. I've been trying to make a game of it--on my commute, I gauge how early or late I am based on my friend David's progress through the Tim Horton's drive-thru on Woodward. Some days he is just turning into the parking lot, other days he's already at the window paying. Or at dinner: how many different meals can I make out of stuff that can live in my fridge for weeks at a time (no fresh veggies or meat because who has time to shop?)? American cheese and mustard sandwiches may soon be in heavy rotation. Seriously, this is as varied as some of my days get. Aren't you jealous?

While I think Clementine has benefitted from structure, I worry about making her too regimented, unable to go with the flow. Also, I hate that this structure robs us of a lot of time together. I know I'm constantly harping on that, but it's really hard to fit in a day's worth of fun, discovery and indoctrination (war=bad; poverty=bad; social reform=good; Elvis Costello=good, etc. etc. etc.) into a few cranky hours before bed. This morning I didn't have those sweet wake-up coos and snuggles because I had to rip darling C. from sleep and rush her off to daycare so I could make it to an early meeting with a parent (who doesn't work) who BLEW ME OFF and then demanded to reschedule same time tomorrow. Sure, breaks up the rut a bit, I guess, but breaks it up with bitterness and vitriol.

On the plus side, tomorrow we leave for a good old fashioned road trip. Yes, I am terrorized at the thought of darling C. screaming from here to Chicago, but I'm placated by the thought of all the fun we'll have once we're there. Can we cram it all in to two days? It doesn't matter! For various reasons--friends, family, obligations, etc.--we are going back the following weekend as well. It just works out that way, and I'm determined to enjoy it. Maybe if we leave at bedtime, she won't holler across three states.

Also, I have just removed a week's worth of pictures from our digital camera and they are some of the cutest yet. I noticed some tall socks on a baby from another blog and have become obsessed with the idea of thigh-highs or legwarmers for darling C. Makes diaper changing easy, shows off her excellent collection of onesies without worrying about coordinating pants and are just plain cool. I found some online, and she's been rockin' em ever since. I'll post some pics tonight.

1 comment:

^starshine said...

sounds like you have been bitten by the "baby legs" bug!! :)