Friday, September 15, 2006

The goods

As evidence of the often hidden side of my truly bifurcated personality--one part goody goody corporate raider, one part independent writer/artist/rocker/wild child--my very belated Mother's Day tattoo, belated because apparently injecting dye into your skin while breastfeeding isn't recommended behavior. I think the reactions of the people I'm closest to also serve to illustrate my divided nature. People either love it and oooh and aaah when I show it to them, or they are horrified by how BIG, how permanent. Whatever. It's not quite finished yet--the stars need to be colored, and there's a background we didn't get done, but the general idea and Clementine-inspired nature of it are pretty clear.



And despite the fact that this is numero 5, I'm still not looking forward to the stern disapproval of my dad when he either reads this or has occasion to see me in a t-shirt. I'm embarrassed that as a 31-year-old grown woman I still let him have this much of an effect on me, but I guess it's just how it is. It doesn't matter in the end because I LOVE LOVE LOVE it, right down to the cat-eye shades on the sparrows and the itchy itchy scabs that I'm trying to keep at bay so it heals correctly.

8 comments:

Emily with an M said...

SOOOOOOOOOO GORGEOUS! I love it so much!! Ohhh!! Yay!!!

Dr. S said...

Well, my reaction was "ooooo, WOW!" Both of those words had many different notes--a half-scale of rising and falling. It *is* big, and *awesome.*

jdg said...

well we both loved it when we saw it today. in fact my wife will probably want to know where you had it done so she can add to her collection.

it was a pleasure meeting you and clementine today and I hope we get a chance to meet up again soon. she's a real doll.

Dan said...

I showed Moon and was fully expecting an, "OH MY GOD!!"...and I got it. But she didn't even pause on the tatoo. "She's soooo skinny!" was all that followed up the first exclaimation :)

So, there's a third reaction you didn't expect :)

Adrienne said...

Cool! Looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!! Absolutely incredible. I want something with sparrows--they look feminine yet are traditional tats. I think the "Oh My Darling" part is great. Now I HAVE to get my next one...

Mama C-ta said...

Oh holy crap woman, I LOOOVE it! I have a Cricket tattoo to get which was an Xmas present but also waiting until I'm done nursing which will be never.

And I'm the same way, still afraid to have my parents see them! But I'm only 29 ;)

Heidi said...

I LOVE it! And, you look amazing. I miss you terribly lady!