Monday, May 08, 2006

A fine Derby indeed

I survived my annual Derby bash...just barely. I don't know how it was different from last year, but 2006 saw the party consume 5 bottles of varying qualities of borboun to 2005's paltry 1 and 1/2. Oh, yeah, last year I was knocked up, so there's the difference. I proudly stayed sober until most guests left and then went around like a homeless women drinking all the half mint juleps that people left behind. Have I become cheap or was this a new form of denial? I hope I don't catch anything. I later stayed up with our friends Dave and Karen, sipping the finer borboun until I realized we were having an in-depth conversation about how much we all loved each other. Yup, time for bed. Know what I haven't missed in my year and a half of pregnancy-induced sobriety? Hangovers. Sunday was desperately hard, and I spent the day queezy and being pampered (and Clementine lived on previously pumped and frozen milk as I dumped mine out until after I was done feeling dizzy. OK, it's also because I had a margarita when we went out for lunch, but it was a hair-of-the-dog gesture more than anything else.

I'm still exhausted and recovering, but there are some mighty fine photos to be seen on Flickr, including a series of Karen getting progressively more intoxicated--you can see it in the eyes. Click on one of the shots below for more.

the ladies

the gentlemen

3 comments:

Allison said...

That is fantastic! So sorry I missed it!

Heidi said...

I can't believe I missed the 3rd Annual Derby Party. What they hell was I doing? Oh yeah, I was in California. It looks like tons of fun. Wish I could have been there.

Sharpie said...

Wow - that looks like LOADS of fun!!