Monday, October 02, 2006

Here comes the sun

We're back from a quick adventure up north all tuckered out and dreading the start of a new week. I do a lot of bitching about the lack of sleep in this house, but there are benefits I don't often think of. This morning, for instance, Clementine woke me up at 7 by kissing me a dozen times all over my face (kissing=putting her mouth on me, lifting it up and THEN making a big smack noise...it was especially delightful this morning with a night's worth of snot all over her face). It was still mostly dark outside, and the windows of the cabin were streaked with dew. I bundled us up and headed down to the beach where we watched the day begin together. The sun rose slowly at first, but was egged on, I think, by Clementine's shrieks of joy as she watched the glow get bigger and brighter. We don't often get a moment like that at the beginning of a day, and I wanted to stop time and hold that instant in my hands like a warm cup of tea (which I sorely needed on that chilly beach). I took dozens of pictures trying to capture that feeling of being alone in the world with my daughter, but I eventually just had to put that damn camera down and hold her on my lap to watch the waves meet the sand over and over again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That picture is awesome. You are one talented mama!