Monday, October 16, 2006

At the hop

On Saturday we went to a sock hop to celebrate some friends' wedding. They held it in an old gymnasium with lots of pennants and long, low tables, and we had a great time getting all gussied up 50s style. I don't know what gets into us, but we are suckers for an opportunity to dress up, which is odd because I think of us as rather introverted. I got so excited I even sewed Clementine some fabulous duds using this retro rocket kid fabric, and she looked cute as a button--too bad most of the dress isn't visible in any of the pics. Her dad the beatnik and her mom the chaperone/housewife looked damn fine if I can say so myself, as did David, who got himself a pompdor for the occasion, and Laura who might have missed the decade her hair was made for.


(that's my bike they were using for the decorations!)

laura and david

the gals

biddies
Don't we look like terrible old biddies there? I think we (I) were talking about the youngsters in the swing band.

And how cool is a wedding to which you are encouraged to bring kids? I know it's not everyone's ideal, but I loved watching Clementine go nuts on the dance floor (she had more fun than anyone there). I'm being forced to go to a family wedding out of town in November that isn't welcoming of kids, and it's a pain in the ass to travel there and then find a sitter. Nate's mom is coming in to do it, which is great because she hasn't seen Clementine in almost a year. But I'd really like to have Clementine with us, especially since she has the best moves on the dance floor.

2 comments:

Kazza said...

You look fab! The wedding looked like fun. And I so agree about the kids. They really make it special and more laid back in my opinion.

I love this site by the way. Your family reminds me of mine so it's nice to see what you guys are up to with your sweet little girl!

Greetings from NY!

Sharpie said...

TOO COOL!! Or hip - or whatever the kids are saying these days...lol!!