Tuesday, April 11, 2006

When is cute not cute?

I'll tell you: midnight. While Clementine is the cutest little girl EVER, all smiles and giggles and sweet cuddles, it is just too much to take at midnight. Nate found her sitting up in bed (SITIING UP), just hanging out and waiting for us to enjoy the subsequent two hours with her. She wanted to play, to laugh, to pull hair and have a grand old time. We wanted to sleep. All you cry-it-outers just hold your smugness--we DID put her in her crib and leave her to cry (after long bouts of rocking and walking and shushing and feeding and pacifying, etc.), but she mostly just played, crawled around, fell over, bonked her head and eventually realized Hey, my two favorite people aren't here to enjoy this with me and started bitching. It wasn't even crying so much as bitching, and once I picked her up and cuddled her just a little, it was fine. She fell right to sleep.

But for the first time since she was born, this lack of sleep is really getting to us. I sense she is testing us. At night, she is screaming tired but still fights like the devil once her eyes begin to droop. I know I need to take some action, but I'm divided as to what exactly. Time for some research!

One other thing: you're all chickens! I've gotten so many emails and phone calls about the post on my mom's visit--EVERYONE has a story about how awful their moms can be, but no one wants to leave a paper (or in this case internet) trail. In addition to tea and sympathy, I got totally called on the carpet by my sister, who noticed right away that I had edited my thoughts and feelings about 80%, making my mom sound almost tolerable. It's true, I do edit and hate to, but I don't want to go to hell for telling the world that my mom is the craziest woman I have ever known. I mean, the woman gave birth to me and has made many sacrifices on my behalf, and I am so grateful for all of that. But she has gone stark, raving mad, and I can keep tight lipped about it no more. From what I'm hearing, you all know what I'm talking about. I may just start a secret blog and write about her antics because they're nothing if not entertaining.

No comments: