Tuesday, November 08, 2005

More BS from HR

I felt bad after bitching about HR yesterday because they called me back to say that they had indeed been in the wrong and were granting me another full week of leave. Don't let the language confuse you--"granting" makes them sound nice, when really they misread my midwife's note and are just giving me what I deserve after all.

As I softened, however, I got an email from the HR department to the "community" of workers. Here it is:

NON-FACULTY AND NON-UNION EMPLOYEES:

I have been contacted regarding whether the community will be "closed" on Wednesday, November 23rd given that there will be no network functionality from 5:00pm November 22nd through November 23rd.

For clarification, the community will not be closed. Those employees eligible for CTO who do not work on the 23rd, will be expected to use CTO.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

So although no one will be able to use their computers and there will be no students on campus, we will all still need to report to work to sit around and twiddle our thumbs. No, why grant a holiday to your hard-working employees the day before Thanksgiving? Why try to spread holiday spirit when there is still so much the employees can do (such as filing and cleaning and talking on the phone)? If you really feel you cannot stand such a tedious day or if it seems like a waste of daycare, use a vacation day to stay home. We want you to work. We own you.

I know from an HR or management perspective I am being overdramatic and a little bit unrealistic. But am I crazy to think that a little generosity and humanity on the company's part might inspire a little love in return?

No comments: