Monday, February 12, 2007

Cast party

Today, after five weeks of life in a cast, five weeks of watching her struggle to get food in her mouth with her right hand, five weeks of baths with one arm wrapped in Saran Wrap, of banging her cast on the dining room table in order to make her dad mad, of smacking herself in the head accidentally and waking herself up all night long, Clementine had her cast removed. In typical working mama fashion, I was late and harried (I left my lights on and had to get my car jumped), but I did manage to grab the work camera for some shots of the cast party:

the saw


And although C spent five weeks picking at the cast and asking that we get it off her, when the time finally came, she had this to say about it: "No! Da-too! Mine."

but I don't want to take it off!

Her one bone (the ulna, I think) remains angulated, which isn't a problem for young bones and will probably straighten out as she grown, but it is a bit noticeable. Her skin is dry and flaky, but she sure is happy to have both arms back again.

Despite her early protestations (she spent the ride to the doctor's office telling me "Doctor bye-bye!"), this trip saw fewer tears and anxiety than before, and she even seemed interested in what was going on with her arm. We've turned a corner on doctor fear! And that's good, since I will be returning to the doctor on Thursday for my own set of X-rays. Like daughter, like mother?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

CUTEST THING EVER.

Indie Mama said...

Way to go C! I broke my arm as a kid and was terrified when they cut it off - I screamed the entire time. Congrats!

Christy said...

It's really cute that in the end she didn't want to give up the cast.