Friday, January 19, 2007

From the road: my first working mama business trip

This time last year it was unfathomable to me that I would ever be ready for a business trip that took me away from darling C for more than a night at the very most. File that under What the fuck did I know? I’m in San Antonio for a business conference at a spa that has beautiful grounds, tons of amenities and the most comfortable beds EVER—they could sleep six without touching and are like sleeping on clouds. Last night I went to bed calm and relaxed and didn’t wake up until the morning. I wasn’t even listening for my name from the depths of dreams.

I did, of course, have pangs of longing when Nate wrote me an email about how she’s asking for “Mama” every ten minutes and then saying “yeah” in her honey-sweet voice when he reminds her that I’m working. But I think I’ll survive. We’re home tomorrow night, and I’ll be there first thing when she wakes up Sunday morning.

The conference itself is a butt crusher, and hanging with my boss lacks a certain element of fun and excitement as far as travel, but how can I complain? I got to see some old friends and their new baby, I’ve had lots of margaritas, I’ve done yoga in the sagebrush and I’m off to see the Alamo! I wonder if they’ll let me see the basement (and if you don’t get that reference, you might need to consult Conky 2000).

5 comments:

her said...

I totally gothe reference....mekalekahi meka hiney ho, mekalekahi meka choney ho.....

Anonymous said...

Awwwww.
Bet you thought you'd likw the time alone and now you miss her. Huh?

Unknown said...

"There's no basement in the Alaymoooow!"

Totally living vicariously through you being at a SPA...:)

Christy said...

Hope you had a great time on your trip and a wonderful return home! I've got some good memories in ol' san antone. It's a good spot. Thanks for the comment too.

Anonymous said...

Yoga in the sagebrush? Man, I could make a fortune out here, sponsoring yoga in the sagebrush clinics. Not that I am a yogi, but I have sage coming out of the brush!

PS I'm moving the blog. To dancingonglass.wordpress.com.