Friday, December 01, 2006

I'm crafty (or I used to be) and just your type

A long, long time ago in a land far, far away (OK, just a year ago and no real physical distance), I was quite the crafty gal and loved to make all sorts of things. Part of it was a release for all the creative energy I previously spent on writing (I've been on a little hiatus from my poetry career and am now aching to get back to it), and part of it was just the challenge, but I was really into it for a while. I sewed all manner of cool stuff for my house and person, made art for our walls, learned to make tiles at Pewabic Pottery, developed photos, rehabbed vintage jewelry, made silver charms, silkscreened, made lamps, painted and sketched poorly and even made some crafty baby clothes and goods. Eventually, Clementine arrived and I lost a lot of my steam. I kept going for a while, but who has time to craft when she can't even shave her legs, balance her checkbook or keep up on laundry until the third consecutive day of inside-out underwear? Not only did parenting get in the way, but my writerly self started to reawaken of late, and I can't see finding time to nurture that and still string together beads.

At my craftiest I was lucky enough to participate in a cool show at my friend Laura's house. It's a wacky mix of art and jewelry, gifts and kids stuff (cool kids stuff like "George Bush Hates You onesies and a line of capes, tuts and dress-up duds you'd die for), and you never know what you are going to find there. Overall it's not as bizarre as the Bizarre Bazaar, as hip as the Renegade Craft Fair or as traditional as that crap they host at the local high schools every weekend, but it's a mix of all of those and you can find something for just about anyone. Despite my lack of craftiness of late, I even have a few things for sale (including my silver "punk" necklaces). As if that's not enough of a draw, there are snacks and wine at the sale tonight and a whole Christmas festival (complete with sales, sleigh rides, a parade and Santa) just blocks away tomorrow. If you live in the Metro Detroit area, pop up to Berkley and check it out if you can. My little fam will be there along side Laura and her crew (her 13-year old makes these very cool and crazy stuffed animals, her husband amazing paintings and tiles), and we'd love to see you. It's a family affair! Here's the invite (click to make it larger and to print):

1 comment:

S said...

Amanda - I stumbled across this site and I thought you might find it useful in your pursuit of creative expression. -Scott

Etsy.com